Necessity breeds creativity. That is what happened here. When we moved into this house, the lamppost never worked. I couldn’t figure it out. I also had a dislike for the original lamppost that was there since it didn’t have a switch to turn it on or off and it didn’t have an outlet at its base. Once the lamppost head fell off and became a precarious eye sore, I tore it out.
Then, the LUG got ~6,000 red 2×4 bricks. After the novelty of having that many wore off, the reality of storing them in a 50 gallon bin, long term, set in. I needed a new lamp and I needed to NOT have these taking up space forever. Inspiration was born.
There are about 3,600 2×4 bricks in it. The head on it now replaced the first version which was more square and only had 4 windows on each side. It looked small and did not emit enough light. I have another lid that I may end up putting on it in the spring. It stands a little over 6 feet tall. The access door on the bottom hides the power outlet.
I built it over the span of 6 months or so. I did end up using Methylethylkeytone (MEK) to fuse all the pieces together in 4 sections. I applied with a paint brush on the inner studs of each brick, so when I pressed them together, it wouldn’t spill out the front. There was some talk about needing to put some UV protecting coating on it to, but I have yet to do that.
There is some additional “landscaping” in mind once it gets warmer, but I wanted to put this out there now while I was thinking about it.